Sunday, July 6, 2008

SURVEY July 6, 2008

Please tell me what any of these lyrics mean:

Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the nightBlinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the nightBlinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night

Madman drummers bummers,
Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin, the calliope crashed to the ground
The calliope crashed to the ground
Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takes
She said "I'll turn you on sonny to something strong, play the song with the funky break"
And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
Asked me if I needed a ride
But she was...Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night
But mama, that's where the fun is
But mama, that's where the fun is
Mama always told me not to look into the eye's of the sun
But mama, that's where the fun is
Some brimstone baritone anticyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
Says, "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in it's funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner, watching the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone, reminding him of romance
The calliope crashed to the ground
But she was...Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
Madman drummers bummers, Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin, the calliope crashed to the ground
Now Scott with a slingshot finially found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
And some bloodshot forget-me-not said daddy's within earshot save the buckshot, turn up the band
Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takesShe said "I'll turn you on sonny to something strong"

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lord have mercy--that made me tired just reading the darn thing. This type of thing just frys my brain--I have absolutely no idea what the song means. Probably some drug induced, love has left me and I have crashed type of thing. Maybe blinded by the light means the person is driving a car and comes around the curve all pumped up. Could probably go on like this forever. Glad I don't listen to this type of music-depresses me thinking about what it might mean. I think that I will just stick to the numbers game--its probably easier to figure those things out!!

Anonymous said...

Bruce Sprinsteen:

Teenage Sexual Angst!

Jim T

Anonymous said...

Uh, I think they were on LCD when they wrote this and just found any words that rhymed and put them together in the same lyric. "And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride"...huh??

I've heard the song before, but I don't know the band's name.

Anonymous said...

Bruce Springsteen wrote it and recorded it first, Manford Mann Re-recorded it and made it popular.

"Blinded by the Light" a song about teenage sexual angst with innuendos about cars. "Revved up like a Deuce" basically he ready and on the prowl in the for a ride or in other words he is Horny and looking to score!

Others innuedos would be by sound like "dictaphone" with "D!ck" being the underlying pun and "Funny Bone" as well.

Great song but it is all encrypted, double meaning lines. Songs are not written like this anymore...instead now we say exactly what we mean and comes off vulgar, but if you read between the lines with song it can be too!

Jim T

Anonymous said...

Bruce Springsteen's only number 1 song... although, didn't reach number one until recorded by Manfried Man (who pronounced it reved up like a douche).

revved up like a duce refers to a duece coupe (type of car... think Beach Boys).

Long live The Boss...

Anonymous said...

Indians in the summer refers to The Boss's little league team...

Teenage diplomat... that's The Boss

In the dumps with the mumps... The Boss was diseased.

This whole song was written by the Boss while looking at a rhyming dictionary...

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you wanted to just know what the refrain meant, or the whole song. Since I am bored, I will tackle the whole song...

The scene I have in my head is that it's summer, Indians have abducted a teenager with the mumps. That teenager happens to be the drummer for a band that has just finished playing a drug-frenzied gig at a dusty carnival several miles from the Indian reservation.

While the rest of the band is waiting for their friend with a station wagon to come pick them and their gear up, some old chick with fake boobs comes along with a dorky, curly-haired record producer and drops a line about how they can make it big. The band is conflicted, both because their original drummer (who they liked better than the fill-in) has gone missing after wandering into the desert in a mescaline-induced haze a couple days ago, and their respective moms keep telling them that record producers are evil and would screw them over, and that they should get real jobs.

The band decides to take the record producer's offer, and the record company sends out a rep from New York who says that they need to be less preachy, and more funny. The rep hires a bodygaurd with short hair who stands in the corner against a calliope (which is a piano of some kind) trying to mack on young girls. The calliope breaks, and the girls laugh at him, and he gets mad and starts to yell at people for no reason.

Meanwhile, the dude with the Indians (apparently named Scott) has been claimed by a big man, EagleFist, who does terrible things to him. One day, Scott grabs a slingshot and shoot EagleFist in a "tender spot," and runs from the reservation. When Scott gets back to town, he sees his friends have sold out and are a funny boy band now, and Scott spends the rest of his days as an angry alcoholic who dreams of shooting up the band with buckshot.

Anonymous said...

Well, I know Bruce Springsteen wrote it, but he didn't sing the version that became a hit, that was Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Should I disqualify myself if I know why he wrote it the way he wrote it? Or should I rant because I'm old enough to remember when this song came out??

Anonymous said...

I've got no idea what this crap means. I am pretty sure this means they were high when the wrote it. It could be a case of people just trying to rhyme things without any regard for the lyrics. Who knows!! All I know is I love it. :)

Unknown said...

Ummm, no idea.

Anonymous said...

Being asked to interpret this, I feel like I'm back in one of my many English classes in college. Now, the reason I was an English major was because you could never be wrong in your interpretation of things, as long as you had a valid explanation. And while I could probably read this and come up with something as far fetched as the interpretations I came up with in college, the fact is that years of sitting in an office reading Craigslist and doing things a trained monkey could do (because really, what else are you going to do with a degree in English) has completely ruined my interpretive skills.

Anonymous said...

I think it's about the world of drug addiction - its effects, the perceptions it creates about everyone and everything around you, and the rapid descent of coming down.

Anonymous said...

After careful thought about the prose in this song, I would have to say that the Boss was writing about an incedent he had while needing to go take a dump after waking up from drunk sleeping. We have all been there, half awake, half drunk, needing to use the toliet, turn on the light but it's too bright, being a little sore from stumbling into things, it all makes sense.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say the song as whole is sending a message that he can rhyme words way better than us, and he knows it.

Anonymous said...

"In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat"

That is a clear reference to spankin' it. The rest of it is mere ramblings of a pot head.